Monday, 30 January 2012

Review: Benefit Lip Plump


'For full, sexy lips use lip plump before lipstick. This neutral-toned lip enhancer helps to smooth and fill in fine lines while building up the contour of the lips, making them appear fuller and younger. This is the original lip plump since 1995! Contains jojoba oil, known to smooth and soften skin.'

 .
Benefit's Lip Plump claims to give the effect of 'full sexy lips.' It has relatively plain packaging for a Benefit product and is packaged in a simple, 7.0g tube with a doe foot applicator.

The first thing I must say about this product, is that I notice no plumping effect at all. I feel no tingling on application, like you would with other lip plumpers, and this definitely doesn't leave me with 'full sexy lips.' If you're looking for a product to give the illusion of fullness and plump your lips, this is not the product. However, this does make a fairly good lip primer. The nude beige shade completely blanks out lip colour, making a good base for lipstick or lipgloss and emphasizing their 'true colour.' You only need to use a little to achieve this and make sure it dries completely before lipstick application to avoid the shades mixing. I actually remember reading an article where Frankie Sandford said she used Benefit's Lip Plump to blank out the colour of her lips and stop them looking too red. Although this could also be acheived with a touch of concealer or foundation on the lips.

Lip Plump also contains jojoba oil to 'soften and smooth the skin'. On application, this does feel sticky and unpleasant on the lips but once it's dried and I've applied my lipstick, although I wouldn't say this keeps my lips moisturized, I haven't noticed any extra dryness either. I do notice a difference in the lasting-power of my lipstick when I use this and I find it does help it to stay on longer.

Overall I'm not really impressed with this, as for £14.50, it doesn't do what it says on the tube. If you're looking for a lip plumper, I definitely wouldn't recommend this! If you have very pigmented lips and want a product to blank out your lip colour, this may be a product worth considering as it's not as drying as concealer or foundation on the lips and does help lipstick to stay on. It also looks nice worn with a clear or pale lipgloss over the top as it is a pretty, nude shade.

Would I repurchase? No. For me, although this is a decent lip primer, this is not a must-have product and I don't feel it's worth the £14.50.

.

8 comments:

  1. Great review ! Such a shame it doesn't actually plump your lips xx

    clayandbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good review on this, although I absolutely LOVE this product and I'm on about my third tube. I love it to give darker lipsticks a good base to stick to, or with a pinky gloss over for a nude lip. It is pricey though especially as it doesn't actually 'plump' as it says it does!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanx for the review! I guess Benefit shouldn't really be raving about having the same formula they did in 1995 because obviously it doesn't work. it is a pretty color at least. luckily you got some sort of use out of it as a primer! does it change the color of the lipstick though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica: I've found that as long as you don't apply too much and wait for it to dry completely before you apply lipstick, it makes a good base and the shades don't mix :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to buy this at one point, but it sounded a little too good to be true! I love using MAC's naked liner for that nude out effect underneath lipsticks, but it is a little drying. This could be a good alternative

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your review! I love benefit so it is upsetting this doesn't do its job. Nonetheless it is a great color! :)

    http://missangelamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive bought about a million lip plumpers and none really do anything amazing, I find my Soap and Glory one the best. I dont think id ever get use out of a lip primer so defo not a product for me. x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is so helpful!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the product; definitely helps me for future spending, especially if I'm looking for something specifically lip-plumping which this doesn't sound very good at!

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...