Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Review: MAC Studio Finish Concealer


'A lightweight, creamy, discreetly opaque concealer. Provides a smooth, long-wearing invisible coverage for all skin blemishes. Water-resistant, fragrance-free and non-blemishgenic. This emollient-based, lightweight concealer is so concentrated that a tiny amount can provide opaque coverage of the skin's imperfections and discolourations. It effectively covers dark circles, blemishes, moles, tattoos and birthmarks. Enriched with antioxidants (derivatives of Vitamin A and Vitamin E), it also contains Silica to help adsorb the skin's oils.'



Studio Finish is packaged in one of MAC's 7g black pots, the same packaging used for their eyeshadows. I have the shade 'NW20' which is too light for me considering I typically wear NC30-NC42 in Studio Fix Fluid but I've had this concealer for a long time now and I always apply concealer before foundation so it works fine. It also has SPF 35.

Studio Finish has a very thick texture. I do find it can feel quite drying on my skin and be difficult to blend, when applied directly onto the skin. I find I always need to use this on top of a primer, such as Smashbox Photo Finish, for it to apply smoothly and blend well. It does give really good, full coverage and easily conceals any redness or blemishes to even out my skin tone. This would be perfect if you have a lot of imperfections you want to camouflage.

Although I do like to use this on my face, I find it looks terrible on the under-eye area. The thick texture makes the concealer difficult to blend and it feels very drying. I find it accentuates dryness, sinks into fine lines and has an overall 'cakey' appearance.

Studio Finish is an ok concealer. The coverage is fantastic and it hides imperfections perfectly but the texture makes it difficult to blend, it's very drying, it settles into fine lines and makes my under-eye area look cakey. Apart from the need to conceal the odd spot, my foundation is usually enough to even out my skin tone, so for me this isn't really a worthwhile purchase. I definitely think there's cheaper and better concealers on the market and once I've used this up I won't be repurchasing.

12 comments:

  1. I love the coverage of this concealer but I agree regarding usage on the under-eye area - it looks awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a love hate relationship with this concealer when I first started using makeup. Now I only use it for blemishes as it's staying power is brilliant!
    Great review :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try this concealer out for a while now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use this under my eyes when I'm in a rush.. It covers wonderfully but can lookcakey and doesn't stay put for long..

    I love the MAC pro longwear & just recently started using the Urban Decay 24/7 concealer pencil and is amaazingly creamy and covers reallly well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I haven't tried either of those - I'll have to have a look at them :) xx

      Delete
  5. Hi! Just found your blog...I love it! I typically range a NC30-NC42 too. Your profile photo is gorgeous....love your tan! Following you now xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I too just found your blog! I love it! New follower!
    I use Studio Sculpt, do you know the difference!
    Laura- www.abrunetteduet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) I think they're really similar tbh! Studio Sculpt is creamier in consistency and easier to blend but I find Studio Finish to be longer lasting xxx

      Delete
  7. Love your blog, I'm following now :) Feel free to check out mine!

    Laura x
    Petit Chatons

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this concealer for any blemishes and red patches but under my eyes it is way too drying and cakey :| X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...